Saturday, April 19, 2014

Franklin, a Haitian native, Boston local, head of the Haitian Coalition, had been waiting for me for


We best washer are staying at Franklin’s house, where several people live, including a little boy named Andlen, and a little dog named Bouka. Him and his cousin Schnadley were playing soccer when I first arrived, and I am reminded of the 6AM soccer matches from the children who lived in the complex I stayed at last time and how seriously the ti moun took their playing time. Andlen is the son of Gaelan and Feliz who do a lot of the house work including cooking, cleaning, and making sure the water and electricity is running. The house is a large, raw edged, cement structure that has sort of a fort feel to it from the outside. There are openings, but no installed best washer doors or windows. The house has a large front yard, and in the backyard is an adjacent building where there are a few bedrooms, the bathroom and the kitchen. The doors on those rooms are made of black metal and are heavy. There is a large freezer in one of the rooms, and a large supply of bottled water, drinks, and fruit.
I flew in sitting next to two ti moun, one who was a little girl writing about her anticipation of landing in Haiti. I was ecstatic because I got to sit in the window seat and felt a little guilty of my excitement because the little girl couldn’t have my seat….got over it quick when I saw the fluffy white clouds overlaying the deep blue ocean with bits of Caribbean Islands scattered, outlined in a beautiful and vibrant turquoise blue. Passing through Ayiti was unreal..endless mountainous, green terrain, with evidence of water once before, as if someone’s palm lines had been carved into the land. About ten minutes before we landed, a woman in the back started praying hysterically. Hallelujah! Hallelujah!
I remembered to record with the Flip the entrance into the airport greeted by the sounds of an orchestra of voices in unison with drums, what a welcoming into the land of the mountains! After I picked up my luggage, I walked to the exit where the taxi drivers were waiting. They had added more to the airport since that last time I was there, a walkway to the parking lot. A man asked me if I had a driver and I said yes. I didn’t know who was picking me up, but I knew someone from the crew would find me. Finally, a man approached me, Are you Vanessa? Vanissa. I’m Franklin.
Franklin, a Haitian native, Boston local, head of the Haitian Coalition, had been waiting for me for two hours at the airport. For some reason the Miami flight had held us in the plane for a really long time before taking off, and I had no way of contacting anyone to let them know of my delay. Although he had waited so long for me in the heat, I was greeted with hugs and smiles, and got packed into the car and was on our way. Along with him were Evans and Bernard, two Haitian locals, both very kind and courteous. On the ride, I was able to get a lot of footage of driving through Port-au-Prince including strips of soulful Haitian art on loose canvases hung up on walls along with other goods.
I have met some of the team. Maria, of Funto Salud International who I met months ago interviewing her and others about their work International, a Dominican-founded medical organization that treats Haitians along the border of Haiti and the Dominican Republic. Since last year they have been servicing the displaced here in Port-au-Prince. Laura is a teacher from Somerville, MA and has been working with the children at the displacement camp for over a week now. I will be going with her tomorrow to meet the children for the first time. Bob is a Reiki master from Boston who has been here for awhile now too and has been working with the children. Paula and Marlene are from Boston (Paula, a Haitian native, Marlene is from Trinidad) are at the beginning stages of opening an orphanage best washer in a small rural town named Haute Feuille.
There is running water and electricity, a blessing. My last time here we had to use well water and electricity was an extremely sporadic occurrence. Everyone has way more technologically best washer advanced mosquito nets than I do, and has made me think to look into this a little deeper, because it’s probably important.
Nou rete nan kay Franklin a, kote plizyè moun ap viv, ki gen ladan yon ti gason yo te rele ti kras Andlen, ak yon chen ti kras rele Bouka. L ‘, li Schnadley kouzen li yo te jwe foutbòl lè mwen te rive premye, ak mwen menm sonje sou li alimèt yo foutbòl 6AM soti nan timoun yo ki te rete nan konplèks la mwen te rete nan tan pase ak ki jan moun seryezman nan ti te pran tan jwe yo. Andlen la se pitit pitit Gaelan ak Feliz ki fè yon anpil nan travay la kay ki gen ladan kwit manje, netwaye, epi asire dlo a, ak elektrisite ap kouri. Kay la se yon gwo, anvan tout koreksyon bò, estrikti siman ki gen kalite yon Fort santi li deyò an. Gen ouvèti, men pa gen enstale pòt oswa fenèt yo. Kay la gen yon lakou devan gwo, ak nan lakou a se yon bilding kote adjasan gen yon chanm kèk, twalèt la ak kwizi

No comments:

Post a Comment